You are here: Istrouma -> School History
Histories of North Baton Rouge Old Schools
|Roosevelt High School|
Baton Rouge’s old schools
By ERNEST GUEYMARD
Special to Magazine
Nora Lee Pollard holds vivid memories of public and private school
education in the Istrouma area of North Baton Rouge. For many years Pollard,
archivist of the Baton Rouge Catholic Diocese, has collected facts and tales
of those pioneer years when a dime was not to be sneezed at. School
buildings were one-or two-room houses, poorly furnished with makeshift desks
and crude homemade benches. Heat was inadequate and, oh yes, there was a
privy in the back yard.
But it all worked out, because the desire for learning was strong.
Slowly, better schools were built, especially when the Standard Oil Co. came
to Baton Rouge attracting more residents to the area and providing
Pollard entered the small Istrouma school in 1921 and graduated in 1933.
Her memories go far back. Today she still is recording events in olden times
as director of the archives, and she has found time to pen four genealogical
Way back in 1914, classes were taught by Philander Smith in a little
house located in a village known as Knox Town. Three known students were
Ellena and Edith Lovet and Earl Martin.
Another pioneer school existed in 1915 on the Plank Road just south of
the airport. This was the Howell School. Transportation was provided by two
hacks, each pulled by two horses. The one from Monte Sano was driven by
Gilly Crumholt. The other was from the Choctaw Road.
There is a record of a small school operated on the Mengel plant road in
1921. About this time, a grade school was opened in Monte Sano, with Lola
McKneely serving as principal.
Transportation was a serious problem for teachers as well as students.
Faculty members often found nearby homes that took them in for lodging and
board. In some cases the Parish School Board provided residences for the
teachers. In our youth we recall talk of those residences known as
teacheries. Needless to say, salaries were a pittance in those days and the
teachery offered economic living.
We are reminded of a story laid in a rural area where two teachers lived
in a tiny house. Next door was a family that raised chickens. Quite often
one of their hens would wander over and lay an egg on the kitchen table of
the teachers. “Surely you returned the egg to the neighbor,” we commented.
“Certainly not,” one of the teachers exclaimed. “We ate them for our
Back in 1923 there was a big population increase in North Highlands, and
a grammar school was built. Two years later the Wyandotte grammar school was
erected. Pollard remembers that there were as many as one-fourth of the
children dropping out of school in the grammar grades in the area, but fewer
dropped out in high school.
The first Istrouma school back in 1917 consisted of a two-room house
secured from realtor Robert A. Hart. Furnishings consisted of burlap
curtains to form two rooms. A Miss Tucker was the teacher. This school,
known as the little red schoolhouse, was in the 2500 block of Erie Street.
In 1918 another small building was acquired from the same realtor.
Through the years a series of small frame school buildings was built before
the first red brick building came into being. The teaching staff in 1918-19
consisted of a Mrs. Morgan, principal; Bell Cross, Sadie Brouillette and a
Mrs. Rousseau joined the staff, and for the next 42 years taught at Istrouma.
In 1921 J. Henry Bowden, later a Methodist minister, was named principal,
serving for two years.
Istrouma High was born in 1923-24, with August Rohlf as principal. On the
faculty when the high school became a reality were John Ira Daniels, Lura
Butterworth, Alice DeLee, a Mrs. Morgan, Clara Faulk Roberts, Blanche
Mathews, a Mrs. Liter, Marjorie Pitchford, Linnie Byrnes and Marguerite
An early sport preceding football in popularity at the school was
basketball. The first boys’ basketball coach was faculty member Daniels.
His players were called Wild Cats, not Indians. Among those on the team were
Leo Couvillion, Monroe Larkin, Clarence Bankston, Jack Beckem, Adrian Beckem,
Leo Amrheim, Lawrence Dunn, Jewel Cavin and Oscar Liuzza.
Marjorie Pitchford coached the first girls’ basketball team. Members of
the first team were Mildred Poche, Juliet Barfield, Lelia Waddell, Adele
Palmer, Gladys Longuepee. Other players were Louise Adams, Mary Stewart and
Myra Kelly. Among other basketball coaches were Linnie Byrnes, Clara Faulk
Roberts and a Miss Jones.
Pitchford was also in charge of a hiking club. Among their outings was
one to Plaquemine. Another was to the new LSU campus.
Uniforms consisted of a very loose blouse with a sailor collar (middy
blouse) and with a long black tie. To complete the dress were black
bloomers, described as loose trousers gathered at the knee, black knee-length
stockings and high-top shoes.
The first graduating services at Istrouma High were held May 14, 1924.
The seven girl graduates wore white voile, ankle-length dresses made by their
mothers or by themselves. The one boy graduate wore a suit. class members
were Leo Couvillion, Marcia Brown, Lucille Denham, Bessie Hawsey, Myra Kelly,
Adele Palmer, Margie Rayborn and Mary Stewart.
H. P. Overton was principal of the school in 1924 and served for 30
years. Abner (Foots) Moreland took over the basketball team as coach, and
Wedge Kyes followed as coach in 1928, serving until 1940.
The years 1932-33 are remembered as Great Depression years. Those
children who didn’t go home for lunch brought a lunch that often consisted of
a biscuit with syrup or homemade jelly, and a baked sweet potato. Times were
hard. Many children wore shoes with large holes in them. No invitations to
the commencement exercises were printed in 1933, and everything was very
simple. The girls’ attire consisted of a white linen suit purchased on sale
at Goudchaux for $2.90. The boys wore a white shirt and dark colored pants.
New faces on the campus in 1934-35 were Mr. and Mrs. Ellis A. (Little
Fuzz) Brown, Serita Cangelosi and Lulu Cangemi. James Elton Brown (Big
Fuzz), a twin of Little Fuzz, had arrived a year earlier.
This history, as pointed out by the author, was limited to events in the
beginning years, up to 1938, because there was no school yearbook, the Pow Wow
After that date, school activities were carried in the Pow Wow.
When the Brown brothers hit the grid dust, football was born at Istrouma
and made history. One great player was Billy Cannon, Heisman trophy winner
Great strides have been made in public education in the Istrouma area in
modern times. Probably not all former students will remember archivist
Pollard’s very early recollections. She has made a valiant effort in
spending years collecting items about school history in the Istrouma area.
Return to Top
1942 History of the Istrouma High School
North Baton Rouge Journal, Wednesday, May 27, 1942
Special Graduation Edition
So that memories of our high school days may not slip into the
forgettable past, let us turn back the pages of time that have made this
school the largest educational institution in North Baton Rouge.
The first Istrouma school began its existence in the year 1917, in a two
room frame building with a faculty of two. They were Miss Helen Row and Miss
Tucker. This building is now called “The Little Red School House” and is
the property of the Istrouma Baptist church.
In the year 1918 another small building was secured from Robert Hart, who
was more than willing to render this service. That building is now the home
of Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Butler. Also in that year Mrs. T. O. Morgan became
principal and had three teachers, Miss Belle Cross, Mrs. Sadie Brouillette,
and Mrs. Youngblood.
The enrollment of the school increased steadily, but the school suffered
because of inadequate equipment and the need for more teachers.
Because of the lack of funds, the school board was unable to help the
school financially. Still in great need, the faculty turned to the patrons
for aid. The response was ready and liberal, considering the trying period
through which the country was then passing. Crude benches were made which at
least provided seats for the children.
During that same year Mrs. Brouillette was transferred to another section
of the state and Mrs. Nick Rousseau replaced her. Mrs. Rousseau is still a
teacher at Istrouma, having been there since 1918.
In the session 1919-1920 the faculty increased to five and many more
children appeared on the opening day of school. Again the class rooms were
inadequate and another building was secured from the generous Mr. Hart. The
building has since been converted into a home and is now occupied by Mr.
Landry, the head janitor at Istrouma. In all these buildings burlap curtains
were used to divide the larger rooms into more than one classroom. This fast
growing school was again enlarged in September of 1920. A four room building
was secured, but it was two blocks from the other buildings. The high grades
were moved to this new building, which later burned.
In 1921 the Istrouma Grammar school had its first graduation. During the
period from 1919 to 1921 a brick building was constructed. This building,
which is still being used, was remodeled in 1931.
The eighth and ninth grades were added in the session 1921-1922. It was
at this time that Mrs. Morgan asked to be released from the principalship at
the school. Mrs. Bowden, who was the Superintendent of the Methodist
District until last year, then became principal with Mrs. Morgan as his
Since the school now had a beautiful brick building it was thought there
would be ample space for many years to come. But in the year 1923 another
brick building was constructed. This building was called the high school
building and the older one the grammar building.
Also in the year 1923, Mr. August Rolfe became principal. It was during
his administration that the Istrouma High school received an “A” rating as
an accredited high school.
The year 1924 marked a milestone in the history of this institution. The
first high school graduates received their diplomas. There were eight
graduates. They were: Leo Couvillion, the only boy, Mary Stewart, Myra
Kelly, Bessie Hawsy, Marjorie Rayborn, Lucille Denham, Marcia Broome, and
Since that year the graduating class has steadily grown. The largest
class ever to graduate from the Istrouma High school was the class of 1940.
It was in 1925 that H. P. Overton became principal of the school. Mr.
Overton is still principal, as he has been for the past 17 years.
Several years after his arrival another building was erected. This
building was built between the other two buildings. It is presently called
the science building.
As time passed three buildings were filled to capacity. Something had to
be done! Therefore a frame building was erected back of the science
building. Every available space was used and still the conditions were
It was during this period of growth that Istrouma had its first football
team. The team was organized in 1935, as were the band and other clubs.
The first athletic coaches were E. A. Brown and J. E. Brown. Mr. W. H.
Kyes was at that time athletic director for the school. E. A. Brown is still
on the coaching staff and has several assistants.
The band was organized under the direction of Prof. George C. Stout. For
the past seven years Mr. Stout has been directing this great musical
organization at Istrouma.
The achievements and honors that all the organizations of the school
accomplished are certainly to be commended.
In the past years the War Whoop has been the school newspaper, but
because of present conditions it was thought best to discontinue it this
year. It has always been put out by the students with the assistance of a
The school also published a year book, “The Pow Wow”. It is also for
and by the students. Miss Lydie Sommer has been the faithful advisor since
In 1938 and 1939 the citizens of Istrouma and surrounding communities
watched another building take its stand just across the street from the other
buildings. This is the latest building that has been added to the Istrouma
campus. It is a two story brick structure with many modern improvements.
The people are justly proud of the science laboratories, commerce department,
and the home economics department.
Istrouma now consists accredited grammar, junior high, and senior high
It was in 1941 that the junior high unit was installed. Mr. Scott McVae
is principal of that unit. The faculty has increased until at the present
there are 53 teachers in the entire school. The enrollment of the school is
now over 1,000.
And now we find ourselves in 1942. Istrouma is still growing! As the
years have come and gone something has been left behind that has made it just
a little better than it was. It is to those tireless workers that started
this great institution that we owe a tribute. May it always be an honor to
their blessed names.
Purchase of Site Is Authorized For Franklin D. Roosevelt School
State Times, Baton Rouge, Friday, April 13, 1945
The new intended Istrouma High School will be known as the Franklin D. Roosevelt High School, it was announced yesterday. The East Baton Rouge parish school board last night authorized the purchased of 30 acres of land south of Winbourne street and two bocks east of the Plank Road for the site of the new school.
The motion to name the school after Roosevelt was made by Frank Barrow and the board voted to name the new school “in memory of our late great president.”
The property is presently owned by Dr. Arthur T. Prescott and his sister and will cost $24,000. The following provisions are involved.
A 60 foot right-of-way bordering the entire site to be donated by the vendor.
The cost of drainage and paving this donated right-of-way and the extension of the utilities to serve this property to be borne equally by the school board and the vendor.
The following restrictions to be imposed on the property immediately adjacent to the school site; minimum size of lot, 60x120; minimum cost of homes, $3500; nothing commercial facing school site other than drug stores, the special location of these to be designated; no garage apartments facing school property; dwellings to occupy one or more lots; property to be restricted to white ownership and residence
These stipulations to apply to vendors, heirs and assigns.
The negotiations and title to be approved by the attorney for the school board.
Two other pieces of property were offered for sale to the school board, both by C. J. Brown, one at the price of $25,00 and the other at the price of $21,000. The board decided that the Prescott site was more desirous because of its location.
The board by a vote of 10 to 6, (James Amiss not voting) rescinded the action of February 1 to allow religious groups to the school buildings for services free of charge.
The action was taken after much discussion and argument. Clifford Ourso introduced the motion to rescind the resolution, causing sharp comment from several of the board members.
The subject of renting the school buildings was brought up by a representative of the Highland school Parent-Teacher association. A resolution, approved by the PTA in which the group protested the charging of fees for use of the schools, was read to the board.
The board’s action did not affect the resolution passed governing rental of auditoriums for political. Town Hall, Community Concert and out of town meetings.
A motion, introduced by Mack Forbes, to refund all churches who have deposited money since the last resolution was passed, was defeated by a vote of 10 to 5.
President Carl V. Dawson, authorized by the board, appointed Frank Barrow as representative of the board to the committee to select an engineer or firm of engineers for the city planning survey. The board also authorized Barrow to enter into a contract with the firm selected.
The board passed a resolution granting a perpetual servitude and right of way “to enter upon and lay and run underground water pipes, mains, conduits, service pipes and connections for pumping, running, transporting or selling water to the public along, across and under the west three feet of the Istrouma school square, measuring 280 feet front on Tecumseh street at a depth of three feet.”
Wants Doors Changed
At the close of the meeting Amiss introduced a resolution that the doors of the Baton Rouge High school, which open into the building instead of out, be reversed immediately. William Wolf seconded the motion.
A substitute motion was offered, providing that the work be done as soon as possible and this was passed. A. T. Browne, assistant superintendent, had explained that it had not been done before because the doors were metal and the proper materials are not available.
“I want to go on record as insisting that this work be done immediately,” Amiss said. “We are violating the law and if there was a fire at the school we could be put in jail for criminal neglect. I want it understood that I’m protesting putting this off and I think the board should place the responsibility on Dr. Barrow, Mr. Brown and Mr. Beard,” he said.
The board agreed to hold the next meeting on the night of May 10.
Return to Top
History of Baker High
North Baton Rouge Journal, Wednesday, May 27, 1942
With each year that rolls by, our memories increase of those days that
are so dear to us--school days. Our memories of Baker High School are most
cherished, although we do not remember all the historical features of that
Did you know that Baker High became an accredited high school in 1914?
It was at that time that H. B. Hatcher was principal. Mr. Hatcher has long
since been Superintendent of Schools in East Baton rouge and he is now a dean
at Louisiana State University.
The first high school building was a frame one. It was in that building
that the first seniors graduated. There were about six in that first class.
At that time the faculty consisted of three members and later there were
In 1923, the brick building was erected. This building housed the eleven
grades for many years. But there was no lack of progress.
In all its 28 years Baker High has been outstanding. The school has
received many honors for its scholastic records as well as for its many
It became necessary in 1940 to add a wing on each side of the building in
order to have more room for the increasing enrollment. Also in that year the
gymnasium was added. It is a beautiful building located next to the old
Football made its appearance at Baker in 1939. Although the team is very
young it has made an excellent record.
Although in the field of sports football ranks near the top, track is
outstanding at Baker. In the State Track meet this year the track men of B
aker walked away with several medals. These valuable students are Gay
Keller and Clifford Bridges.
Tennis is also outstanding at Baker. The trophy for doubles was won by
the two tennis players from Baker. They were Ossie Brown and Maurice Hunt.
Last year, 1941, a band was organized by Mrs. Stroube McConnell. In the
State contest that year the band won a superior rating. This year the band
was entered in the state contest in the “C” class and received a rating of
The school this year under the principalship of W. H. Kyes has an
enrollment of approximately 500 and a faculty of 19.
Return to Top
History--North Highlands Junior High School
North Baton Rouge Journal, Wednesday, May 27, 1942
The North Highlands Junior High School was built in 1923. This was the
period in which Dr. H. B. Hatcher was Superintendent of Education and W. H.
Perkins was president of the school board. Mr. R. A. Hart was chairman of
the building committee, F. G. Churchill was the architect, and A. C. Stewart
was the contractor.
The first session held in the school was started at mid-term 1923. The
teachers who had been assigned to teach at North Highlands taught the first
term at the Istrouma school and moved to North Highlands at mid-term.
Mrs. H. A. Major was the first principal of North Highlands school. When
the school opened it was only a grammar school with six grades, six teachers,
and 150 pupils.
Since the school was built the enrollment has increased to such an extent
that it was necessary to have additional space. An auditorium, 3 classrooms,
and a temporary building of two rooms have been added.
The school now consists of nine grades with an enrollment of 540. the
faculty now consists of 18 teachers. The present principal of the school is
Guy H. Sommers.
Throughout the 19 years of the school’s existence there has been an
active Parent-Teachers Association.
Last year a Home Economics department was added to the school curriculum.
The teacher for the classes is Mrs. Elizabeth Stewart Williamson. As the
Home Economics Club’s aim for this year, the girls selected, “Ourselves in
National Defense”. The girls who were officers for the club this year were
very active. As an honor to the senior members of the club, a party will be
held at Wolf’s auditorium Thursday, May 28.
During this school session, the faculty, students, and parents have been
very busy with extra-curricular activities of the school. The P. T. A. has
sponsored several programs. On May Day the king and queen were crowned. The
boys’ basketball team won second place in the District rally held in Lutcher,
La. and the track team has had many special events.
The latest addition to the school’s progress is the band. Having been
organized only two months, the band has made much progress. There are
approximately 50 members of the band, which is under the splendid supervision
of Prof. George C. Stout. With this fine beginning the North Highland’s Band
should go far in musical achievement.
Also, this year a librarian, Miss Richardson, was added to the faculty of
Because of the rapid progress in this junior high school, we of North
Baton Rouge should be justly proud of their accomplishments.
Return to Top
History of Hollywood Junior High School
North Baton Rouge Journal, Wednesday, May 27, 1942
When the sun is bright, the heart young, and the fish are biting, it’s
hard to stay in school. It’s harder still when through every window of the
school, one can see evidences of spring, green pastures, trees in full leaf,
birds on the wing.
Such scenes of rustic beauty surround the Hollywood Junior High School,
which is located on Second Street in the Hollywood subdivision. Since March
1928, when the school was first occupied, window-gazers have looked longingly
into the fields and woods and day-dreamed of vacation.
In its fifteen years of service to the people of Hollywood, Garden City,
and other nearby communities, the Hollywood Junior High School has undergone
many changes in its organization. It started out as just an elementary
school with six grades, four teachers,and an enrollment of ninety. Today
there are eight grades, the last two a state accredited junior high school,
twelve faculty members and 350 pupils.
The red-brick building with twelve classrooms and an auditorium seating
about 500 persons, was constructed in 1927 on a large tract of land obtained
from Robert A. Hart. The funds were provided from a special building tax
voted in the Twelfth School District. The Standard Heights School, The Monte
Sano School, the “old” Istrouma gymnasium, and other school units were
constructed at about the same time.
Only four of the twelve classrooms were in use during that first year,
according to Mrs. J. T. Edwards, who served as the first principal of the
school. “As a special treat to the children when they were good,” said Mrs.
Edwards with a smile. “We would let them visit the empty classrooms on the
Mrs. Edwards, first principal of Hollywood, had previously been principal
at a frame building on Hollywood Drive and at the Garden City school of which
the Hollywood Junior High School is the descendent. During Mrs. Edwards’
principalship, the seventh grade was added to the school in 1928, followed by
the eighth grade in 1929 and the ninth grade in 1930. She left Hollywood in
1935 but returned at the beginning of the present term, “back home again” in
the same classroom which she had been the first to occupy.
C. R. Kleinpeter who had taught at the Baton Rouge Junior High School and
at the Istrouma High School, became principal in 1931.
The ninth grade was dropped at the beginning of the 1939-1940 session to
make room for a state accredited two-room junior high school with a complete
home economics department.
Mr. Kleinpeter remained head of the school until the end of the 1940-1941
session when he resigned to devote all of his time to farming and
stock-raising. Since the outbreak of the war, he has been taking a part in
parish, civilian defense activities.
Also leaving Hollywood at the end of last session was the well loved Miss
Dolly Kelly, who had taught the first grade children of the community ever
since the days of the Garden City School. She married Dave Bryan and is now
living in the country near Slaughter.
The beginning of the 1941-1942 session, L. Norman Day, formerly of the
Central High School, became principal. A resident of the third ward, Mr. Day
was graduated from the Istrouma High School and from Louisiana State
University. In March of this year he entered the army and is now serving as
a private in the medical detachment at Fort Benning, Ga.
After Mr. Day’s departure, Murray I. Jones became the fourth principal of
the Hollywood Junior High School. Mr. Jones of Pride is known throughout the
Parish of East Baton Rouge as an untiring instructor of Red Cross first aid
classes. He is an alumnus of Louisiana State and was coach for three years
at the North Highlands Junior High School. This year his B cage team won the
honor of being the only junior high school team ever to qualify for the state
rally basketball tournament.
Other faculty members and the grades they teach are first grade, Mrs. L.
L. Rome; second grade, Miss Frances Young; second and third grades, Mrs. J.
T. Edwards; third grade, Mrs. J. Wesley Chambers; fourth grade, Mrs. Kate W.
Ory and Mrs. Stirling B. Davis; fifth grade, Miss Sara Bliss; sixth grade,
Miss Marie Jacocks; seventh and eighth grades, Mrs. Annie R. Gonzales, Mrs.
Laura L. Addison, and A. M. Zimmerman.
The present session has been a very busy and successful one for the
pupils of Hollywood. There has never been so much interest in programs,
club, and other extracurricular activities. A policy of having a school
assembly every Friday was inaugurated. These assemblies are for the purpose
of increasing loyalty to school and country.
Much of the activity of the junior high school girls centers around the
home economics department, which, though only three years old, is splendidly
equipped. The department, under the direction of Mrs. Annie R. Gonzales, has
received very high commendations from Miss Lela Tomlinson, Assistant
Supervisor of Home Economics. The department occupies two rooms, one a
modern kitchen, the other a sewing room.
Besides her regular duties as a home economics teacher, Mrs. Gonzales
supervises the serving of the free lunches to the under-privileged children
of the school. These hot meals are cooked by Mrs. Annie Bell and are served
by students of the home economics classes.
A very active Junior Homemakers’ club is another evidence of the girls’
interest in home economics. Under the presidency of Gloria Wells, the club
dressed dolls and made quilts for the Red Cross, sent delegates to the junior
Homemakers’ state convention in Alexandria, bought United States defense
stamps, planned and attended several parties, and took part in many other
Three groups were organized in the junior high school division this year:
Boy Scout Troop No. 128, the Library Club, and the Science Club.
A. M. Zimmerman is the scoutmaster of Troop 128, which received its
charter on April 10. During their short period of scouting, the boys have
been on several camping trips and have collected hundreds of pounds of scrap
in the Salvage for Victory campaign. They also assisted in handling the
crowds during the period of sugar rationing. Eldridge Downey is senior
patrol leader of the troop.
The Library Club was organized for the purpose of increasing interest in
good books and in the improving of the library. During National Book Week,
the club conducted poster and quiz contests. The members of the club
collected books for and donated some money to the Victory Book Campaign. The
club’s gift this year to the library will be a much-needed librarian’s desk.
Herbert Courtney has been president of the Library Club. Others who have
been office-holders are: Grace Carter, Ernest Cifreo, and Eva Clegg.
In accordance with the government’s pleas for increased physical fitness,
the Hollywood athletic program has been very full. Within the last two
months classes in calisthenics have been organized by Mr. Jones and Mr.
Zimmerman for all boys over third-grade level. The girls have been playing
softball, volleyball, etc.
Hollywood’s C class boys won the basketball championship in the parish
rally this year. As a reward, they received gold, black and white school
jackets. The track team tied for first place with the Baton Rouge Junior
High School. Stars of the team were Robert Clegg, in the dashes, and Herbert
Courtney in the field events.
To safeguard the children on their way to and from school, there is a
Safety Patrol. Every morning, noon, and afternoon, the boys of the patrol,
with belts and badges as indications of their authority, stand at corners
near the school and direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic.
Other measures taken for the safety of the children have been air raid
and fire drills. Careful and repeated instructions have been given to the
children as to what they must do in case of a bombing raid.
Cooperating wholeheartedly with the faculty, the P. T. A. has had an
active year. Mrs. S. J. Hunt served as president, Mrs. Lester Dunlap, as
vice-president, Mrs. J. W. Jines as secretary, and Mrs. Frank Rieger as
treasurer. As the result of the election on May 3, Mrs. H. T. Wicker was
named president for 1942-1943. Co-officers will be Mrs. Lester Dunlap,
vice-president; Mrs. J. D. Day, treasurer; and Mrs. J. W. Jines, secretary.
Every effort has been made at Hollywood this year to stress patriotism
and friendship with Latin America. In November Miss Young’s second grade
presented a program based on the national holidays of that month. In
February the fourth grade classes of Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Ory give a patriotic
program concerning the birthdays of Washington and Lincoln. Pan American
Day was commemorated by the fifth and sixth grades of Miss Jacocks and Miss
Bliss. In the “I Am An American” celebration on May 15, children of all
grades in school participated under the direction of Mrs. Edwards and Mrs.
Addison. All of the teachers in the school have been emphasizing American
and Pan American themes in their class work.
The Hollywood Junior High School can point with pride to many of its
former pupils, among whom are numbered outstanding athletes and splendid
students. Proudest of all is Hollywood of those of her sons who have
answered their country’s call and are now fighting to preserve that way of
life which makes our educational system possible.